Wednesday, January 1, 2014

La Cucaracha, la cucaracha....

I recently listened to the audio book An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth where the author discussed the principle “act as if”.  Ever since he was a small boy, the author dreamed of going to space.  His dream, however improbable it was, was his dream.  Not knowing anything about astronauts (how they think, eat, and live) he decided to pretend he was one.  He "acted as if".  He ate like an astronaut would eat, exercised as an astronaut would exercise and studied what an astronaut would study.  And, as luck would have it, his “act as if” attitude created the pathway that led to him to soaring through the atmosphere more than 20 years later. 

When I used to counsel clients I would tell them to “fake it ‘till you make it”. If, for example, they had a low self esteem and hated who they were I would ask them to pretend they were someone else, someone who had a high self esteem.  I would ask them to imagine what someone with a ten out of ten sense of security and confidence looked like and ask them to visualize how that person walked, talked, and acted.   Their homework, inevitably, was to be that person.  Sure enough they felt silly and uncomfortable but they also felt empowered and were able to find a way out of their "stuck" identity. 

For 365 days I'm going to act as if I'm a bona fide writer and maybe, just maybe, it'll stick. Now, how about watching an awesome video I took of my friend's son hitting himself with a maraca?