Saturday, March 2, 2013

Is This The End?...




A life long dream came true this morning for Miles as we watched a rocket launch nearby the Kennedy Space Center.  Shorty after this historic event, Miles said jokingly, "everything here on out is going to be insignificant, I just witnessed a rocket for chrissake".  You know something, he's right. Although the successes and the dreams accomplished continue to pile up on this road trip, so too does the disappointment of not knowing what to do, after doing the undoable.

In Key West, the insecurities of my dwindling savings and how I am going to make money came crashing down on me.  With only North Carolina to see to finish the continental 48 states, I realized my road tripping adventure is coming to a close.  The life I have become accustomed to living, with spontaneous left or right decisions, u-turns, parking lot living is on its final leg.  My favorite question of "where are you today?" has become an all too familiar one that I enjoy filling family and friends in on.  Currently in a parking lot in Hilton Head, South Carolina, for your information.  But in all honesty, the sadness of letting go of the most meaningful existence I can imagine, made the past few weeks miserable at times.  
There are those who would give anything to live someone else's life, to trade places so that they can feel what it's like to live the "good life".  But at the end of the day, I have come to understand they struggle just as you do.  They fear, they agonize, cry, and fall down only to get back up again.  

In Virginia I talked to Rome, the new lead singer of the popular band Sublime.  At the time I was pretty awe struck to be conversing with someone who had everything, in my mind; money, a popular band, traveling the country, and fame. But as we continued to talk and he was curious about me traveling around the country, living out of my car, with no plan, he said "I wish I had your life."  This person I watched sing in front of thousands of fans an hour earlier, was now telling me he was jealous of me? 

I've realized true success comes from living out your dream.  And the dream is your life as it is.  It might not be something you're very proud or are embarrassed of but that doesn't matter. Ask yourself how can I love, forgive, relax, and enjoy what's right in front of me a little more.  Then, you'll be one step closer to your dream.