Friday, January 31, 2014

Would YOU Watch a Movie About YOU...


If your life was a movie would you watch it? This question presented itself as I watched life unfold in front of me: a waitress bringing a requested beer, a poker player picking up chips in order to raise, and a man holding Russel Wilson jersey's trying to make an extra buck. It made me pause, if only for a moment, to think if my movie would be worth the ticket price.

I recently watched the documentary Mitt, with the goal of seeing if there was anything more to the country's stigma of Mr. Romney being "flip-flopping Mormon." After watching it I still don't have much of an opinion. I did, however, read a quote from Mitt Romney after he saw it stating, "It was painful to watch" and it "was not the movie I would have made." I thought the movie was tastefully done; giving a great deal of attention to his family and the importance of his values. Which leads me to the question: why didn't he like watching his movie?


Even though your movie may be difficult to watch at times, and the stop button sometimes appears to be the only relief, take a moment to think about your favorite movie. What about the movie sets it apart in your eyes? I think you'll find the greatest characters - the one's we identify with most - are met with similar challenges as us, such as conflict and heartbreak. In fact, there is no difference between the two. That being said, the story line is yours to write; is your character the lead - the one who inspires, owns their strengths as well as their weaknesses and shows resiliency in the face of adversity or is your character simply an unpaid, nameless extra, who, behind the scenes complains
about their shortcomings, feels powerless to change, and looks to the star for all the answers? Either way the fact remains:

It's your movie. I just hope you're not disappointed when the final credits roll.