Saturday, February 8, 2014

Zen Coffee Pot...


This morning's lesson comes from my coffee pot. It's slightly defective by societal standards, but in my mind, it's the ultimate in the moment indicator. When I rush myself, presumably due to thinking about the other million things I need to get done (other than pouring my cup of coffee) it leaks. It's as though my coffee pot has taken on the spirit of a downtown New York traffic cop, accent and all saying, "Hey lady, slow down or else you're in for it." The days I don't listen, seemingly every day, I'm left cleaning up the kitchen counter. Which makes me wonder, if I know the coffee pot is going to leak, why don't I just pour slower?


I think part of the answer lies in an article I read this morning. It suggests that by slowing down and connecting to the moment, whether it's with a complete stranger, a best friend, or in my case, a coffee pot, it allows for appreciation of what's right in front of you. The idea that there's always something more important to get to leaves and is replaced with there is nothing more important than what I'm doing right now. I think I'll try pouring myself another cup. Cheers.