Thursday, March 27, 2014

Write Now...

Since my first journal, fit with lock and key when I was 5 years old, writing has been a part of my life. I currently have a stack of journals 15 deep on the hallway bookshelf and contained in those pages are moments of extreme pain and unrestrained joy. The words from my past remind me that the passage of time creates distance, and in that, lies healing.  
The article "Five Ways Writing Can Save Your Life," explains how the components of self-discovery, reflection, meditation, imagination and action are at the core of the writing experience. I can say from experience, as I near the end of my third month writing daily, the act of taking thoughts and emotions and translating them into words is a truly satisfying experience. I've learned there is no wrong answer, that the only expectations that exist are ones I set for myself, and it's better to try and fail than to do nothing at all. 

I'm glad I enjoy writing because as intimidating as 279 more days of blogging seems, I know taking it a day at a time will make the process go smoothly. 

Well, that's all for this evening. Good night, and if you too decide you may want to start a journal remember: "Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -Robert Heinlein